About my blog

CLL is the acronym for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia. CLL is the most common cancer of the blood. However, unlike many other leukaemias, CLL is incurable. Innovative research is desperately needed to provide treatments which are more effective than the derivatives of chemical warfare agents currently in use. Research however costs money.

In 2009 I walked from John o'Groats in the north east of Scotland to Land's End in the south west of England. Hence the acronym JOGLE. The purpose of my walk was to make more people aware of this insidious disease and to encourage them to sponsor me by donating to the research groups I was supporting. It was a most enjoyable experience and I met some wonderful people. Together we raised over 2000 pounds for the cause. Thank you everyone!

In, 2010, the blog was being continued for those who may have be interested in following my walking holiday in Wales. This was not a charity walk.

Sadly this year, 2013, Alan Frost, a senior member of the Wednesday Loafers, our cancer support group, passed away. Many medics will tell you that CLL can be cured by a bone marrow transplant. Alan had battled with the cure for many years. More research is needed, but significant progress has been made since I started this blog.

CLL is still killing my friends. The organizations listed at the side of this blog would welcome any contributions you would like to make towards their research.

Please feel free to pass on the details of this site to anyone you think may be interested. The link is www.cancerwalker.com

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Day 18, Fri 24 July, Inver Dunkeld to Perth

For those of you who have done this type of walking will know that there are good days and bad days. This day started out as a bad day! On packing up my tent I was attacked by midges. The rain started by the time I had walked the extra mile back to Dunkeld. So I took off my pack to put on wet weather gear, and doing the pack up again the main buckle snapped. I walked for about 2 miles, passed the railway station when I realised I no longer had my Akubra bush hat. I don’t know where I lost it. The rain started to increase. I followed the cycle route 77 to the Pass of Birnam. I then took a short cut along what was the old A9 – it is now a deeply rutted 4 wheel drive track. The ruts were a foot deep filled with water. The middle bit was grass 18 inches high hiding pot holes. A mile of it was particularly difficult. However things did start to improve and I was able to get a sandwich and coffee to go at the only shop in Bankfoot. I then headed south in gradually increasing rain which eventually became torrential and it hailed! The road flooded and passing cars threw up copious amounts spray. One couple stopped their car and offered me a lift, but I felt I had to carry on walking. (Actually the rain is not as bad as walking through midges). I eventually came to Pitcairngreen, a small village with a pub offering lunch, but I decided to walk on to Almondbank a slightly larger place, only to find no pub, no tea room! (It did have a shop).

I arrived at New House Farm, a new camp site situated to the west side of Perth next to the Noah’s Ark Golf Driving Range (where you check in for the camp site) by 2.30pm. It is a new camp site, only been open for 8 weeks with great ‘oldie’ friendly showers.

After pitching my tent I went to scout out my route for the following day. I decided to veer from my original route (as I found todays hard going) so I am now going to head for the services on the M90 at Boxden where there is a MacDonalds for Breakfast. (I had my evening meal there too). While I was walking around the Boxden services I met Sandy walking his deer hound. Sandy is a member of the Perth Hill Walking Club and he gave me some useful information for my route to-morrow.

When I got back to the camp site I met the owner who was doing his rounds. We had a pleasant chat and he asked me how I found out about the site, being so new. Well it when I was back in NZ using the net. I gave him my blog web site and a little later he returned with a very generous 20 pound donation for the charities.

In spite of finding the day quite tough I didn’t feel depressed – exercise must be good for the brain!

No comments:

Post a Comment