About my blog

CLL is the acronym for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia. CLL is the most common cancer of the blood. However, unlike many other leukaemias, CLL is incurable. Innovative research is desperately needed to provide treatments which are more effective than the derivatives of chemical warfare agents currently in use. Research however costs money.

In 2009 I walked from John o'Groats in the north east of Scotland to Land's End in the south west of England. Hence the acronym JOGLE. The purpose of my walk was to make more people aware of this insidious disease and to encourage them to sponsor me by donating to the research groups I was supporting. It was a most enjoyable experience and I met some wonderful people. Together we raised over 2000 pounds for the cause. Thank you everyone!

In, 2010, the blog was being continued for those who may have be interested in following my walking holiday in Wales. This was not a charity walk.

Sadly this year, 2013, Alan Frost, a senior member of the Wednesday Loafers, our cancer support group, passed away. Many medics will tell you that CLL can be cured by a bone marrow transplant. Alan had battled with the cure for many years. More research is needed, but significant progress has been made since I started this blog.


CLL is still killing my friends. The organizations listed at the side of this blog would welcome any contributions you would like to make towards their research.

Please feel free to pass on the details of this site to anyone you think may be interested. The link is www.cancerwalker.com
_______________________________________________


Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Day 8, Tue 14 July, Invershin Castle to Gravel Pit

Summary
Day 8. Invershin Castle to Gravel Pit
Date: Tue 14th July
Distance: 26.4 Km (16.4 Miles)
Total distance covered: 216.4 Km (134.5 Miles)
Distance to go: 1411.9 Km (877.3 Miles)

Day 8 Report
Left Invershin and am heading in the direction of Dingwall, but will wild camp somewhere on the way. You would not believe the flies - as bad as Australia, including clegs (horse flies). I have my trousers tucked into my socks, plus over trousers. I also have an articial head band of midge bites, just below the brow of my hat. Still itching!
I passed the Falls of Shin (waterfall), just south of Achinduich. There is an alternative hill route, but I am sticking to the flat.

I wild camped at a gravel pit - felt more comfortable that a caravan was there too (Danny and his wife). A beautiful spot by a river, marred by rather a lot of litter. Have got a blister on my left foot, just under my toes. I should have stopped to dry my feet off on the way. You only have one chance to get into the tent once pitched to avoid the midges, so I didn't get out again to cook. Mind you, no food means no reflux, so am sleeping quite well!

A photo of Bonar bridge

1 comment:

  1. Good on you Richard. You're an inspiration to the rest of us Wednesday Loafers! I've made a donation of $NZ100 directly to the Malaghan Institute here in New Zealand so please factor that into your total calculations (39 pounds 52 on today's exchange rate). Keep walking! Cheers,
    Rob.

    ReplyDelete