About my blog

CLL is the acronym for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia. CLL is the most common cancer of the blood. However, unlike many other leukaemias, CLL is incurable. Innovative research is desperately needed to provide treatments which are more effective than the derivatives of chemical warfare agents currently in use. Research however costs money.

In 2009 I walked from John o'Groats in the north east of Scotland to Land's End in the south west of England. Hence the acronym JOGLE. The purpose of my walk was to make more people aware of this insidious disease and to encourage them to sponsor me by donating to the research groups I was supporting. It was a most enjoyable experience and I met some wonderful people. Together we raised over 2000 pounds for the cause. Thank you everyone!

In, 2010, the blog was being continued for those who may have be interested in following my walking holiday in Wales. This was not a charity walk.

Sadly this year, 2013, Alan Frost, a senior member of the Wednesday Loafers, our cancer support group, passed away. Many medics will tell you that CLL can be cured by a bone marrow transplant. Alan had battled with the cure for many years. More research is needed, but significant progress has been made since I started this blog.

CLL is still killing my friends. The organizations listed at the side of this blog would welcome any contributions you would like to make towards their research.

Please feel free to pass on the details of this site to anyone you think may be interested. The link is www.cancerwalker.com

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Day 33 Barnard Castle to Reeth

Today's distance: 25.8 km (16 Miles)
Distance covered: 799.8km (497.0 Miles)
Distance to go: 828.5km (514.8 Miles)

Cold Chinese takeaway is not the most appetising of breakfasts!. I struggled through half, then set off to the bridge that would take me to Barnard Castle. I met someone walking her dog and she told me of the Castle Café which does cooked breakfasts all day and are open from 7 am. She also let me leave my backpack in her garden while I went off to get more breakfast.

I walked on roads to Boldron and then headed south and crossed the A66 into Kilmond Wood. I then took a path to a minor road, crossed the Greta River and headed towards ‘The Stang Forest’, still keeping to the road as some of the farm tracks are hard to find. At a height of 291 metres a path crossed the road, which I took heading south. I thought that this would be OK as I could see a small wood in the distance to give me my bearings. The path wasn’t particular clear but I eventually reached Garnthwaite farm. Finding the path from the farm to the Stang forest was tricky. My map showed the path on the east side of the farm, but it was on the west. I met a couple of cyclists who said the track through the forest was quite easy to follow – and it was quite visible. However on leaving the forest following the track was more tricky. I followed it to the 416 m level where the track split. The one going east looked well defined but not the SE one which I wanted. After much battling over burnt heather and boggy ground I eventually found the track I was looking for. It was almost non existent, so I decided to follow 4 wheel drive tracks and small roads. This added another 2 kilometres to the days walk but really simplified the navigation. I had excellent weather and great views on top of the moor. You descend into Reeth from old mine workings. I met Jeff and Ali there – we had a good chat and they very kindly gave me 2 pounds for the charities.

I arrived at the camp site about 5.30 pm, (9 ½ hours walking today), tired but not as exhausted as I was yesterday. (Forgot to mention yesterday that I broke the arm on my prescription specs!). I have pitched my tent at the Orchard Caravan Park and the owner Paul very generously waived his fee for my pitch which I will donate to the charity. It is a very busy campsite, a lot of people doing the Coast to Coast walk. There are several tents even smaller than mine.

I had a shower and then had a meal at the Black Bull Inn, which was good, but they were very busy and after waiting 20 minutes for my pudding I gave up and went to the Buck Inn for a second guinness. It was much quieter and more relaxing. (A group was tuning up at the Black Bull, obviously the night’s entertainment).

No comments:

Post a Comment