About my blog

CLL is the acronym for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia. CLL is the most common cancer of the blood. However, unlike many other leukaemias, CLL is incurable. Innovative research is desperately needed to provide treatments which are more effective than the derivatives of chemical warfare agents currently in use. Research however costs money.

In 2009 I walked from John o'Groats in the north east of Scotland to Land's End in the south west of England. Hence the acronym JOGLE. The purpose of my walk was to make more people aware of this insidious disease and to encourage them to sponsor me by donating to the research groups I was supporting. It was a most enjoyable experience and I met some wonderful people. Together we raised over 2000 pounds for the cause. Thank you everyone!

In, 2010, the blog was being continued for those who may have be interested in following my walking holiday in Wales. This was not a charity walk.

Sadly this year, 2013, Alan Frost, a senior member of the Wednesday Loafers, our cancer support group, passed away. Many medics will tell you that CLL can be cured by a bone marrow transplant. Alan had battled with the cure for many years. More research is needed, but significant progress has been made since I started this blog.


CLL is still killing my friends. The organizations listed at the side of this blog would welcome any contributions you would like to make towards their research.

Please feel free to pass on the details of this site to anyone you think may be interested. The link is www.cancerwalker.com
_______________________________________________


Friday, August 14, 2009

Day 37 Gargrave to Ponden House

Summary
Today's distance: 26.1 km (16.2 miles)
Total distance: 887 km (551 miles)
Distance to go: 741 km (461 miles)

Report
I left Gargrave at about 7.45 am after a muesli breakfast and set out to walk alongside the river Ayre and the railway. I initially was on the wrong track – should have been on the one nearer the river, but was able to get onto the right track after about 1 kilometre. The grass was very long and wet, so I had to put on waterproof leggings. There were lots of nettle too that stung through my leggings. After passing a railway bridge the path improved and I made good progress to the A59 which I joined just west of Inghey Bridge. Having crossed the road I took off my pack to have a rest when a car stopped and out popped Pat, Dot and Joan (all old school friends) who had been looking for me. I saw Dot a few years ago when she visited us in New Zealand, but I hadn’t seen Pat and Joan for at least 45 years. It was great to reminisce about school etc. as we walked through Carleton over the moor to Lothersdale. It was busy with walkers where we picked up the Pennine Way. At Lothersdale we stopped to have lunch. Duncan (Pat’s husband) who was driving the car had made us packed lunches. Very nice to have some proper food in the middle of nowhere, especially as I hadn’t had to carry it! We parted company at Lothersdale and I walked on to Cowling over the moor to Ponden House.

I had hope to make contact with another old school friend, Gordon Collet, on the moor but had made the ‘mistake’ of giving my phones to Pat so that they could be recharged, completely forgetting that I had wanted to contact Gordon. Pat also very kindly took my dirty washing!

When I arrived at Ponden House I found out that the campsite was along side a river and there were a lot of midges about! I decided to go for B&B instead. Neville Hartley and his wife visited me at Ponden and I also able to meet up with Gordon. Tomorrow Neville is going to walk with me from Ponden to Makinholes.

In the evening I was guest of honour at the pub where I met up with everyone again including Glenys and Pat (not Gordon, though who had a prior engagement) a real old school reunion of Heckmondwike Grammar school. I had a most enjoyable evening and many thanks to Pat for organising everything and doing my washing and charging the phones.

Walking with other people really makes it easy – when you are chatting away you forget all about your aches and pains.

No comments:

Post a Comment