About my blog

CLL is the acronym for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia. CLL is the most common cancer of the blood. However, unlike many other leukaemias, CLL is incurable. Innovative research is desperately needed to provide treatments which are more effective than the derivatives of chemical warfare agents currently in use. Research however costs money.

In 2009 I walked from John o'Groats in the north east of Scotland to Land's End in the south west of England. Hence the acronym JOGLE. The purpose of my walk was to make more people aware of this insidious disease and to encourage them to sponsor me by donating to the research groups I was supporting. It was a most enjoyable experience and I met some wonderful people. Together we raised over 2000 pounds for the cause. Thank you everyone!

In, 2010, the blog was being continued for those who may have be interested in following my walking holiday in Wales. This was not a charity walk.

Sadly this year, 2013, Alan Frost, a senior member of the Wednesday Loafers, our cancer support group, passed away. Many medics will tell you that CLL can be cured by a bone marrow transplant. Alan had battled with the cure for many years. More research is needed, but significant progress has been made since I started this blog.


CLL is still killing my friends. The organizations listed at the side of this blog would welcome any contributions you would like to make towards their research.

Please feel free to pass on the details of this site to anyone you think may be interested. The link is www.cancerwalker.com
_______________________________________________


Saturday, August 29, 2009

Day 54, Winscombe to Bawdrip, Sat 29 Aug

Summary
Today’s Distance: 25.2 km (15.7 miles)
Total distance: 1316 km (818 miles)
Distance to go: 312 km (194 miles)

Report
I got up late today, after 6:00 am, as I had discovered last night that the pub/hotel next to the campsite would provide me with a breakfast after 8:00am. I left Winscombe by 8:30 am and took the path beside the A38 to Cross, where I took minor roads to Lower Weare. Then I went by a minor road and path to Badgworth. As I ended up on the wrong path the route was somewhat more circuitous than I had planned. Then I took minor roads to Stone Allerton and eventually reached Mark by lunch time. I lunched in a very pleasant pub called 'The Pack Horse' and had an interesting time chatting to 3 locals, one of whom was in NZ during the war. It was only after I left the pub I realised he must have been much older than he looked or behaved.

The countryside in this part of Somerset is very flat and criss-crossed with field drains. I imagine Lincolnshire must be somewhat similar. I followed minor roads and paths beside field drains all the way to the A38 at Bawdrip and 'The Fairways Caravan Park.' When the lady on reception discovered I was a charity walker she kindly refunded my fee so l could donate it to the charity on their behalf. What a great end to a quiet and somewhat painful day. My left big toe is starting to play up. It has been for a few days now.

Over the last few days I've been contacted by someone called Sally, whose husband has had a rare form of Leukemia, PLL. He has also suffered a transformation to lymphoma. I met up with them both this evening when they took me out for a meal to the King William public house in Catcott. I can honestly say I've never before felt so comfortable, in the company of complete strangers, as l did tonight. I can only hope Kit and Sally enjoyed the evening as much as I did.

Although my diagnosis was CLL I am very fortunate that I have been given all the good markers and may never need treatment. Kit has suffered quite a bit of nerve damage as a result of his illness. However I am sure his positive attitude and irrepressible humor have made significant contributions to his survival. Twenty pounds has been donated to the charity in thanks for the meal provided by Kit and Sally, but their companionship was priceless.

Chris, the publican at the King William, also came over to our table and generously gave me a donation of 20 pounds. What started as a quiet day has had a marvelous ending. However I must sign off as it's 11 pm and I need some sleep. Very many thanks to all today's donors.

No comments:

Post a Comment