About my blog

CLL is the acronym for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia. CLL is the most common cancer of the blood. However, unlike many other leukaemias, CLL is incurable. Innovative research is desperately needed to provide treatments which are more effective than the derivatives of chemical warfare agents currently in use. Research however costs money.

In 2009 I walked from John o'Groats in the north east of Scotland to Land's End in the south west of England. Hence the acronym JOGLE. The purpose of my walk was to make more people aware of this insidious disease and to encourage them to sponsor me by donating to the research groups I was supporting. It was a most enjoyable experience and I met some wonderful people. Together we raised over 2000 pounds for the cause. Thank you everyone!

In, 2010, the blog was being continued for those who may have be interested in following my walking holiday in Wales. This was not a charity walk.

Sadly this year, 2013, Alan Frost, a senior member of the Wednesday Loafers, our cancer support group, passed away. Many medics will tell you that CLL can be cured by a bone marrow transplant. Alan had battled with the cure for many years. More research is needed, but significant progress has been made since I started this blog.


CLL is still killing my friends. The organizations listed at the side of this blog would welcome any contributions you would like to make towards their research.

Please feel free to pass on the details of this site to anyone you think may be interested. The link is www.cancerwalker.com
_______________________________________________


Thursday, August 20, 2009

Day 45, Uttoxeter to Cannock Chase, Thu 20 Aug

Summary
Today’s distance: 24.6 km (15.3 miles)
Total distance: 1063 km (661 miles)
Distance to go: 565 km (351 miles)

Report

Last night I walked into Uttoxeter for my evening meal at Witherspoons. The best l can say is that at least it was better than I remembered my school dinners to have been. I then went to Tescos to get milk, muesli, strawberry yoghurt and fresh strawberries. I had one serving before going to bed and another when I awoke at 5:45am. I had let the muesli soak overnight for my breakfast serving. I packed quickly as it looked like rain was approaching and left the campsite at 7:15am. I met a nice group of people at the racecourse who were organizing a Western festival, over a number of days, to raise money for their local heart unit. They were a committed, friendly group.

I followed the Staffordsihe Way all the way to Stockwell Heath, a charming village with a little pond. I only really went wrong once, in Abbots Bromley where I finished up walking through the grounds of the girl's school. Thank goodness it was the holidays! However, if it had been term time there would probably have been someone around to put me one the right track. I arrived in AB at 11:20 before the pub opened at 12:00 so decided to divert to the pub at Colyton after passing through Stockell Heath. Unfortunately, that pub doesn't open at all during the day on weekdays. I am now in the first pub in Rugeley appropriately called 'The Yorkshireman'!

After leaving the Yorkshireman I headed across Rugelely towards Cannock Chase. On the way I was perusing the map, looking lost, when Peter, a landscape gardener saw me, We began to chat and he invited me in for a cup of tea, a pleasant interlude. I had then only about another 45 minutes walk to the campsite but it was mostly up hill on an extremely busy road. I arrived about 5:00 pm.

I checked in and showered and just returned to my tent when Mick arrived. He and Gayle walked the LEJOG last year and Martin had told me they would be in touch and would like to meet up with me and share experiences. Martin took me to the Ash Tree public house where we met up with Gayle and they shouted me my evening meal and we talked about walking. After a very pleasant evening Mark took me back to the campsite at Cannock Chase.

No comments:

Post a Comment