About my blog

CLL is the acronym for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia. CLL is the most common cancer of the blood. However, unlike many other leukaemias, CLL is incurable. Innovative research is desperately needed to provide treatments which are more effective than the derivatives of chemical warfare agents currently in use. Research however costs money.

In 2009 I walked from John o'Groats in the north east of Scotland to Land's End in the south west of England. Hence the acronym JOGLE. The purpose of my walk was to make more people aware of this insidious disease and to encourage them to sponsor me by donating to the research groups I was supporting. It was a most enjoyable experience and I met some wonderful people. Together we raised over 2000 pounds for the cause. Thank you everyone!

In, 2010, the blog was being continued for those who may have be interested in following my walking holiday in Wales. This was not a charity walk.

Sadly this year, 2013, Alan Frost, a senior member of the Wednesday Loafers, our cancer support group, passed away. Many medics will tell you that CLL can be cured by a bone marrow transplant. Alan had battled with the cure for many years. More research is needed, but significant progress has been made since I started this blog.

CLL is still killing my friends. The organizations listed at the side of this blog would welcome any contributions you would like to make towards their research.

Please feel free to pass on the details of this site to anyone you think may be interested. The link is www.cancerwalker.com

Monday, August 3, 2009

Day 27 Byrness to Ray Fell

I left the Youth Hostel at 8am and started walking down the A68. The warden had warned me that it would be busy with motor bikes, which it was, but there were only a few heavy trucks. I stopped at a transport like cafĂ© and had a ‘medium’ size breakfast.

I then walked to the junction of the A68 and A696 which I joined and followed as far as Otterburn. The chap in the shop there told me of a bridle path which starts just past the mill south of Otterburn and follows the River Rede. I asked how I could cross the river and he said there were stepping stones. It may have been the recent rain but I saw no place to cross! Therefore I carried on until I came to a bridge that took me to East Woodburn. It was getting late by this time and I needed water and to find a place to camp. I stopped at a couple of farms and a cottage but could not find anyone about. As the path crossed the road round here I took it to the next cottage that I could see and was told in no uncertain terms that I shouldn’t be on the road, it was private. (there were no signs where the path crossed the road). I did get some water and left the road by the shortest route which was convenient for me and set up camp in a small forest. I had been walking for about 11 ½ hours and was too tired to find someone to ask permission. As I was in the forest I didn’t like to use my stove so went straight to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment