About my blog

CLL is the acronym for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia. CLL is the most common cancer of the blood. However, unlike many other leukaemias, CLL is incurable. Innovative research is desperately needed to provide treatments which are more effective than the derivatives of chemical warfare agents currently in use. Research however costs money.

In 2009 I walked from John o'Groats in the north east of Scotland to Land's End in the south west of England. Hence the acronym JOGLE. The purpose of my walk was to make more people aware of this insidious disease and to encourage them to sponsor me by donating to the research groups I was supporting. It was a most enjoyable experience and I met some wonderful people. Together we raised over 2000 pounds for the cause. Thank you everyone!

In, 2010, the blog was being continued for those who may have be interested in following my walking holiday in Wales. This was not a charity walk.

Sadly this year, 2013, Alan Frost, a senior member of the Wednesday Loafers, our cancer support group, passed away. Many medics will tell you that CLL can be cured by a bone marrow transplant. Alan had battled with the cure for many years. More research is needed, but significant progress has been made since I started this blog.


CLL is still killing my friends. The organizations listed at the side of this blog would welcome any contributions you would like to make towards their research.

Please feel free to pass on the details of this site to anyone you think may be interested. The link is www.cancerwalker.com
_______________________________________________


Friday, August 28, 2009

Day 53, Gordano (Portbury) to Winscombe, Fri 28 Aug

Summary
Today’s distance: 26.3 km (16.3 miles)
Total distance: 1291 km (802 miles)
Distance to go: 337 km (210 miles)

Report
I awoke at 5;45 am and had my second bath in 12 hours, having removed the tent which l had been drying out overnight. I had my continental breakfast and was on the road by 8:00am. I took what looked like a quiet narrow back road to Nailsea, at least on the map it looked quiet. Whilst it was surely very narrow, mostly one lane, it was very, very busy.

I went down through Blackwell and then went about 1 mile west on the A370 before taking a very quiet back-road to Claverham. I then went via a path up Cadbury Hill to Congresbury where I took a path heading west through the churchyard to join 'The Strawberry Line.' This is a cycle track running along an old rail bed, like the Tissington Trail I had walked on a few weeks ago.

On the outskirts of Winscome I met Andrew who is writing a cycling book dealing with the Somerset area. As we chatted time went by quickly. He kindly showed me a little turnoff to the campsite from the trail. I doubt l would have noticed it by myself. A typical 8 hour day with about 16 miles covered. Now I am in Somerset, with only Devon and Cornwall to go!

As it is a Bank Holiday weekend, as soon as I had showered I went around to the pub next door for my evening meal. It made a nice change not having to walk for 30 minutes to get to the pub. On returning to my tent l chatted briefly to a Dutchman in a caravan near my tent. A short while later he returned and invited me in for a coffee. I spent a very pleasant half hour chatting to him and his wife and two young children. Hopefully the meeting will inspire the young Sieswerdas to take up camping and walking.

Photos
New photos on page 4 of the photo album

No comments:

Post a Comment