About my blog

CLL is the acronym for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia. CLL is the most common cancer of the blood. However, unlike many other leukaemias, CLL is incurable. Innovative research is desperately needed to provide treatments which are more effective than the derivatives of chemical warfare agents currently in use. Research however costs money.

In 2009 I walked from John o'Groats in the north east of Scotland to Land's End in the south west of England. Hence the acronym JOGLE. The purpose of my walk was to make more people aware of this insidious disease and to encourage them to sponsor me by donating to the research groups I was supporting. It was a most enjoyable experience and I met some wonderful people. Together we raised over 2000 pounds for the cause. Thank you everyone!

In, 2010, the blog was being continued for those who may have be interested in following my walking holiday in Wales. This was not a charity walk.

Sadly this year, 2013, Alan Frost, a senior member of the Wednesday Loafers, our cancer support group, passed away. Many medics will tell you that CLL can be cured by a bone marrow transplant. Alan had battled with the cure for many years. More research is needed, but significant progress has been made since I started this blog.


CLL is still killing my friends. The organizations listed at the side of this blog would welcome any contributions you would like to make towards their research.

Please feel free to pass on the details of this site to anyone you think may be interested. The link is www.cancerwalker.com
_______________________________________________


Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Day 43, Pomeroy to Ashbourne, Tue 18 Aug

Summary
Today's distance: 25.2 km (15.7 miles)
Total distance: 1017 km (632 miles)
Distance to go: 611 km (380 miles)

Report
I was leaving the toilet facilities at the Duke of York campsite at Pomeroy this morning when the landlord called out to me to say that breakfast was ready. They don't do breakfasts at the campsite! I had asked him about the possibility of a breakfast the previous evening and when he found out l was doing a charity JOGLE he had very kindly decided to make me a breakfast. As a result Derek, his wife and l had sausage butties and coffee or tea, dining alfresco at the back of the pub.
When l asked Derek to add up my tab for breakfast and the previous evenings meal, cottage pie, and Guinness, he told me, very generously that because of my walk there was to be no charge. As a result l have donated the 20 pounds they saved me to the charity in their name.
Derek and Catheryn have only just taken over the pub and are hoping to improve the camping facilities. I am not exaggerating when l say that Derek is one of the friendliest publicans l have met. He spent his first week in ownership removing the signs saying 'no boots', 'no dogs' etc.
I left the pub about 9:30 and after crossing the road and one field l was on the path l was to follow most of the day. I didn't get lost!
Walking the Tissington trail was very pleasant and easy walking and l made good time to Parsley Hay where l found out that snacks were available. I then walked on to meet up with J, the man l met at the pub last night who was diagnosed with CLL when only 39 yrs old!
We had a great walk together and diverted from the track to lunch at the pub in Biggin. J continued to walk with me for half an hour after lunch.
I walked on for a couple of miles thinking about how far l had to walk when surprise! surprise! At the side of the road with their bicycles were Neville and Judith Hartley who had come to meet me and walk with me to the campsite, where both they and l are now camped. As a result l stopped thinking about how far l had to walk and time flew by as we made our way to the campsite. It was the best present l could have received at that time in the walk.
When l booked into the Callow Top campsite Neville arranged for me to put my tent next to his mobile home. As a result l was able to have a camp chair to sit on and a cup of tea to drink. Luxury!

When l booked into the campsite l was wearing my 'Cancerwalker' T shirt and one of the members of staff asked about my walk. Later in the evening l met him, Chris, and his colleague Ellie in the Callow Top Inn. They very kindly donated 10 pounds to my charity. It was very gratifying to get such a generous donation from such young people.
Judith, Neville and l ate out at the campsite cafe in the evening but they wouldn't let me pay for anything, so to get my revenge l have donated 15 pounds to the charities in their name. What l really appreciated most however was their kind action in traveling out all this way to make my day so enjoyable. You made my day! Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment