About my blog

CLL is the acronym for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia. CLL is the most common cancer of the blood. However, unlike many other leukaemias, CLL is incurable. Innovative research is desperately needed to provide treatments which are more effective than the derivatives of chemical warfare agents currently in use. Research however costs money.

In 2009 I walked from John o'Groats in the north east of Scotland to Land's End in the south west of England. Hence the acronym JOGLE. The purpose of my walk was to make more people aware of this insidious disease and to encourage them to sponsor me by donating to the research groups I was supporting. It was a most enjoyable experience and I met some wonderful people. Together we raised over 2000 pounds for the cause. Thank you everyone!

In, 2010, the blog was being continued for those who may have be interested in following my walking holiday in Wales. This was not a charity walk.

Sadly this year, 2013, Alan Frost, a senior member of the Wednesday Loafers, our cancer support group, passed away. Many medics will tell you that CLL can be cured by a bone marrow transplant. Alan had battled with the cure for many years. More research is needed, but significant progress has been made since I started this blog.


CLL is still killing my friends. The organizations listed at the side of this blog would welcome any contributions you would like to make towards their research.

Please feel free to pass on the details of this site to anyone you think may be interested. The link is www.cancerwalker.com
_______________________________________________


Friday, August 7, 2009

Day 32 Wolsingham to Barnard Castle

It’s been a hard day! After breakfast I decided to get rid of a few things to reduce the weight of the pack. Managed to shed about 1 kilo. I’ve lost about 3+ kilos so hopefully this will bring my pack to body ratio back into line.

Leaving Wolsingham I managed to set off going east rather than south. For some reason (though marked red on the map) I took the A689, rather than the ‘yellow’ minor road. After about 15 minutes I realised that there were no hills and I was heading into the sun. So I back tracked and found the right road to Chatterley. It was hilly. I walked along roads south to Doctor’s Gate over Hamsterly Common where I had a choice of two routes through Hamsterly Forest. I took what looked the most worn but it was hard going, up and down before climbing out near a village called Woodland. I then headed south across farmland – some of the tracks easy to find, some not. A lot of fields with bulls, skittish cows and calves.

I arrived at Barnard Castle and followed a cycle route to cross the river Tees only to find the bridge closed due to repairs. I then had to back track again and follow the road to find another bridge, which was about ½ k away. However my classic mistake of the day was that there are two camp sites to the west of Barnard Castle and I went to the wrong one first! (I had booked into the caravan and camping club members one and they give good rate to backpackers).

I had walked for about 9 ½ hours and had nothing to eat since breakfast as my chocolate had completely melted and was not eatable. (I had bought a soft drink in Woodland). By the time I had set up camp, had a shower and done my washing it was 9pm, too late to walk the 2 k into Barnard Castle to find a pub for a meal. Fortunately, there was a Chinese takeaway that delivered to the camp site. I ordered a little too much so the leftovers will be breakfast tomorrow. When I leave Barnard Castle early tomorrow I may not find anything open it being Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment