About my blog

CLL is the acronym for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia. CLL is the most common cancer of the blood. However, unlike many other leukaemias, CLL is incurable. Innovative research is desperately needed to provide treatments which are more effective than the derivatives of chemical warfare agents currently in use. Research however costs money.

In 2009 I walked from John o'Groats in the north east of Scotland to Land's End in the south west of England. Hence the acronym JOGLE. The purpose of my walk was to make more people aware of this insidious disease and to encourage them to sponsor me by donating to the research groups I was supporting. It was a most enjoyable experience and I met some wonderful people. Together we raised over 2000 pounds for the cause. Thank you everyone!

In, 2010, the blog was being continued for those who may have be interested in following my walking holiday in Wales. This was not a charity walk.

Sadly this year, 2013, Alan Frost, a senior member of the Wednesday Loafers, our cancer support group, passed away. Many medics will tell you that CLL can be cured by a bone marrow transplant. Alan had battled with the cure for many years. More research is needed, but significant progress has been made since I started this blog.


CLL is still killing my friends. The organizations listed at the side of this blog would welcome any contributions you would like to make towards their research.

Please feel free to pass on the details of this site to anyone you think may be interested. The link is www.cancerwalker.com
_______________________________________________


Sunday, August 16, 2009

Day 40, Standedge to Crowden, Sat 15 Aug

Summary
Today's distance: 18.6 km (11.6 miles)
Total distance: 946 km (588 miles)
Distance to go: 683 km (424 miles)

Report
Peter got up early to take his loan car back and pick up his new car. Audrey and l breakfast at leisure. It was only when l was preparing to put my pack car in the car that l realised l had left my walking poles in the back of the loaned car. However, when we checked the loan car had been rehired and would not be accessible before 2:30pm at the earliest. We therefore set off to Huddersfield where l bought a new pair of walking poles at Argos. We then moved on to Morrison’s at Meltham where we had tea and l bought chocolate and soft drinks. I was back on the trail by 11:45am just as it started to rain. The wind picked up and l was climbing up to Black Hill in heavy rain and a strong cross winds. Visibility was down and l couldn’t see the Holme Moss transmitter mast which was only a mile away. Just before Black Hill l met a 77year old man walking the PW for the nth time. At the trig point where l now faced a strong headwind and rain l met 2 very wet young girls and was able to brighten their day by telling them about the snack van l’d seen when crossing the A635. As l decended towards Laddow Rocks where l met a lot of day walkers and a few people walking the PW. In all today l probably met as many walkers as l have seen in total so far.

Just before Laddow Rocks the track became very boggy and the track widen as people wandered off the track to avoid the boggy sections. I think this section needs upgrading to avoid further damage. PW people please take note. I was able to mention my concerns to the parks officer l met on the route. On my previous two walks above Laddow Rocks l have had some discomfort due to vertigo but this walk l had no problems. I think my walks with the Maddick family in NZ have increased my vertigo threshold. By the time I reached Laddow Rocks the rain stopped and it was fine to Crowden where l booked in at the campsite. Sadly there was no pub within 3 miles. Luckily the campsite has a tiny shop but if you remember l shipped out my cooker to reduce weight. I dined on cold sweet and sour chicken followed by cold rice pudding. Breakfast is muesli with rice, chocolate powder and chocolate. Lunch will be a Mars bar. I hope to eat properly again when l reach Hayfield. Thanks for the break from routine Audrey and Peter, and for doing my laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment