About my blog

CLL is the acronym for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia. CLL is the most common cancer of the blood. However, unlike many other leukaemias, CLL is incurable. Innovative research is desperately needed to provide treatments which are more effective than the derivatives of chemical warfare agents currently in use. Research however costs money.

In 2009 I walked from John o'Groats in the north east of Scotland to Land's End in the south west of England. Hence the acronym JOGLE. The purpose of my walk was to make more people aware of this insidious disease and to encourage them to sponsor me by donating to the research groups I was supporting. It was a most enjoyable experience and I met some wonderful people. Together we raised over 2000 pounds for the cause. Thank you everyone!

In, 2010, the blog was being continued for those who may have be interested in following my walking holiday in Wales. This was not a charity walk.

Sadly this year, 2013, Alan Frost, a senior member of the Wednesday Loafers, our cancer support group, passed away. Many medics will tell you that CLL can be cured by a bone marrow transplant. Alan had battled with the cure for many years. More research is needed, but significant progress has been made since I started this blog.


CLL is still killing my friends. The organizations listed at the side of this blog would welcome any contributions you would like to make towards their research.

Please feel free to pass on the details of this site to anyone you think may be interested. The link is www.cancerwalker.com
_______________________________________________


Saturday, August 15, 2009

Day 39, Mankinholes to Standedge, Fri 14 Aug

Summary
Today's distance: 19.9 km (12.4 miles)
Total distance: 927 km (576 miles)
Distance to go: 701 km (436 miles)

Report
I had a muesli breakfast at the Mankinholes YHA and was on the road by 8:10. The YHA was a great hostel of the old school. As has become the norm l started off on the right track but was soon on the wrong one. The track wound around a hill above the YHA. The track seemed to have been laid out on paper without any thought to the nature of the terrain it covered. One had to jump from one faised mond of scrub to the next. Once l realsed l was on the wrong track l decided to head straight up hill over open country. Although much steeper the smoother suface made for much easier going.
I foud a cairn on another main route and shortly after found the Pennine Way using a waypoint l loaded into my GPS rx. From then on finding my way was not an issue. I saw only one person in the first 2hrs and he was driving a Land Rover. I arrived at 'The White House' pub at 10:30, hoping to find it open but found it didn't open until midday. I went on past the Aiggin Stone and at last started to meet Pennine Way (PW) walk.
I then met another group of 4 PW walkers one of whom had cycled LEJOG and was l think considering walking it. I was glad when l eventually reached Brian's Caravan Cafe on the A672 about 12:30.

I was planning on meeting up with my sister Audrey and my brother in law Peter at Standedge but they were having problems with their radiator on their brand new car! Therefore, we agreed that l would walk on to where the road going SW from Meltham meets the A672 (I think). It would mean a long day today but a nice short one, with a lie in tomorrow.
I finished walking about 5:30, met up with Audrey and Peter and we all went out to the in the evening to celebrate Audrey's actual birthday and Peter's 80th birthday, in a month's time, which l will be unable to attend as l will be still walking.

Photos
New photos added to the photo album

No comments:

Post a Comment