About my blog

CLL is the acronym for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia. CLL is the most common cancer of the blood. However, unlike many other leukaemias, CLL is incurable. Innovative research is desperately needed to provide treatments which are more effective than the derivatives of chemical warfare agents currently in use. Research however costs money.

In 2009 I walked from John o'Groats in the north east of Scotland to Land's End in the south west of England. Hence the acronym JOGLE. The purpose of my walk was to make more people aware of this insidious disease and to encourage them to sponsor me by donating to the research groups I was supporting. It was a most enjoyable experience and I met some wonderful people. Together we raised over 2000 pounds for the cause. Thank you everyone!

In, 2010, the blog was being continued for those who may have be interested in following my walking holiday in Wales. This was not a charity walk.

Sadly this year, 2013, Alan Frost, a senior member of the Wednesday Loafers, our cancer support group, passed away. Many medics will tell you that CLL can be cured by a bone marrow transplant. Alan had battled with the cure for many years. More research is needed, but significant progress has been made since I started this blog.


CLL is still killing my friends. The organizations listed at the side of this blog would welcome any contributions you would like to make towards their research.

Please feel free to pass on the details of this site to anyone you think may be interested. The link is www.cancerwalker.com
_______________________________________________


Saturday, August 22, 2009

Day 47, Wolverhampton to Wolverley, Sat 22 Aug

Summary
Today’s distance: 27.2 km (16.9 miles)
Total distance: 1119 km (695 miles)
Distance to go: 509 km (316 miles)

Report
I had an early breakfast with Mick and Gayle and we managed to get back to yesterdays finishing point by 8:15am. Thanks M&G for the great support. I headed for Goldthorn Park and then followed the path to a small wood in Park Hill. Florence, who was walking her dogs, showed me how the start to the path was now hidden and redirected me to the correct track, which I quickly lost in the wood. I came out of the wood on the wrong side. But luckily, I met a chap walking two dogs who put me on a new and clearer route to Penn Common.
I had a great second breakfast in the Baggeridge Country Park, probably the best full English breakfast I have eaten so far, and then made my way to Himley Hall, and then onto Himley.
Then I headed for the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal which I reached near the ‘Old Bush’ pub at Hinksford. I went in for a shandy and a chat and received donations from the publican and his wife, Trevor and Angela Hall, and their son Tim. I also received a donation from Derek Smith, a real cancer survivor.
Then I walked on to near Kinver where I met up with two walking friends, David and Sarah Puxley. We had last met up in 2005 whilst walking the Coast to Coast from Robin Hood’s Bay to St. Bee’s Head.
They had very kindly arranged to walk with me to Wolverly where they had also worked out my most direct route to the campsite. Thankfully it was a Camping and Caravan Club site, of which I am a member. I got a very friendly welcome and was only charged 5.82 pounds! I had a shower and then Dave and Sarah came around to take me out for a meal. We had a great time and a great meal. We hope to meet up again soon in either the UK or NZ. The charity received a meal donation of 15 pounds. Thanks Dave and Sarah for a very enjoyable afternoon and evening.
Tomorrow I have to walk alone.

1 comment:

  1. Really enjoyed meeting up again and admire your guts and determination. Sad that English pubs are not more flexible!! Hope that you and your wife are able to visit us in East Leake before you return to NZ.

    ReplyDelete