About my blog

CLL is the acronym for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia. CLL is the most common cancer of the blood. However, unlike many other leukaemias, CLL is incurable. Innovative research is desperately needed to provide treatments which are more effective than the derivatives of chemical warfare agents currently in use. Research however costs money.

In 2009 I walked from John o'Groats in the north east of Scotland to Land's End in the south west of England. Hence the acronym JOGLE. The purpose of my walk was to make more people aware of this insidious disease and to encourage them to sponsor me by donating to the research groups I was supporting. It was a most enjoyable experience and I met some wonderful people. Together we raised over 2000 pounds for the cause. Thank you everyone!

In, 2010, the blog was being continued for those who may have be interested in following my walking holiday in Wales. This was not a charity walk.

Sadly this year, 2013, Alan Frost, a senior member of the Wednesday Loafers, our cancer support group, passed away. Many medics will tell you that CLL can be cured by a bone marrow transplant. Alan had battled with the cure for many years. More research is needed, but significant progress has been made since I started this blog.


CLL is still killing my friends. The organizations listed at the side of this blog would welcome any contributions you would like to make towards their research.

Please feel free to pass on the details of this site to anyone you think may be interested. The link is www.cancerwalker.com
_______________________________________________


Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Day 35 Newbiggin to Kettlewell (not Hawkswick)

Summary
Today's distance: ~23.6 Km (14.7 miles)
Distance covered: 840.5 Km (522.3 miles)
Distance to go: 787.8 9 Km (489.5 miles)

Report
I had a choice of two routes this morning – one to climb up behind Buckden Pike on tracks or to follow the road through Kidstones, Cray, Buckden, Starbotton and then on to Kettlewell. It was drizzling when I packed up the tent so I decided to take the lower route. The weather deteriorated and I had a hard climb against a strong head wind going over the pass to Buckden. The hills around were all shrouded in low cloud, so if I had taken the higher route I would have had no views and it would probably been windier. The road wasn’t too busy, but a bit narrow at times. Somedays when walking in the Yorkshire Dales you get better views from the road looking up, than you do from on the hills looking down!

At Starbotton I left the road to join the Dales Way to Kettlewell. At the pub where I had breakfast, the waitress had warned me that it would be busy in Kettlewell. It was – I had difficulty in finding the camp site, so many people, all tourists who had no idea where the campsite was, the locals had gone into hiding! It was the annual scarecrow festival. There are masses of scarecrows, very well constructed, a great credit to the local community. Well worth a visit. From the phone box where I’m ‘reporting’ I can see about 6. On top of the booth there is a drunken scarecrow, complete with bottle.

The campsite is small and quiet with very nice views.

No comments:

Post a Comment